The dental veneers are very thin sheets which are fixed on the front of the teeth by an adhesive to correct cosmetic problems such as fractures, blemishes, unequal size and shape, or other defects. Its placement is very simple and painless and results in a white and natural smile for many years.
There are two types of dental veneers:
Dental porcelain veneers: Great quality, many tones and very natural results. They have a high level of tolerance and are very resistant.
Dental composite veneers: More economical and quick to place but also deteriorate before. Its implantation does not require carving the tooth for which they require a smaller number of sessions in the dentist and unlike the porcelain dental veneers, they are reversible.
Although dental veneers do not require many special care, if we want them to last we must keep them in the best conditions. So we leave here some tips to care for them and keep them as new, whether the dental veneer is porcelain or composite, and are also valid for the care of teeth in general.
- Maintain a complete dental hygiene with brushing after meals, flossing daily basis and periodically mouth rinses. We must keep in mind that the dental veneer is placed on the teeth and although it will not develop caries, the teeth continue to run the risk.
- After placing a dental veneer, we go to a first revision to spend a week, so that the specialist check their status. Then, we must visit the dentist at least once a year to keep the dental veneers in top condition. The professional will then consider whether it may be necessary to whiten them with products, polish or scrape. In the event that a dental veneer is broken or detached, the dentist will fix or replace it.
- One of the reasons why the dental veneer remains attached to the tooth is due to the use of a resin in its placement that is susceptible to stain and discoloration. That is why we must avoid snuff also yellowing teeth, also does it with dental veneers.
- Avoid abrasive toothpastes as they may scratch the material of your dental veneers or damage it.
- Avoid performing actions with teeth like cutting threads, ribbons, opening bottles, biting shells nuts … and others that may be a source of great impact on the dental veneer. Open bottle
- It is possible that between two and five years later you may notice some stain on the dental veneer. This is due to the consumption of coffee, tea, wine, and some juices and soft drinks that favor dark discoloration and darkening of the teeth and dental veneers, so do not abuse them.
- In the event that we practice contact sports such as boxing or basketball it is advisable to use mouth guards.
- Beware of sauces such as ketchup or mustard can also alter the color of your dental veneers.
- No rubbing and / or clenching of teeth to prevent dental veneers wear out, break or peel off. Patients who suffer is recommended bruxism the use of a bite splint to prevent fractures in a dental veneer.